Friday, December 27, 2013

2013 Garage Nativity Mural

Call me crazy!

This is one of my absolute favorite Christmas displays on here. This display drove me crazy enough to try to make one! I will let you know if I survive it! Okay, I got it done 5 days before Christmas, and I got 2.5% of all my Christmas decorations put out this year, cause I spent so much time working on this project.

Cutest stinkin' idea I've seen in my life, and it drove me crazy, and I had to have one.

Only problem is I can't get it in a store, and there's no instructions with the picture!

: (

So, I gave it a try!
4 3/4" styrofoam board from Home Depot or Lowe's like $8 each.
1/2 gallon of dark blue paint. (I got a whole gallon, it was cheaper than a half gallon.)
rafia straw
scraps of white material for manger
brown or cinnamon paint for the manger
scraps of material for each of the characters: 1 yard for robes and 1/2 yard for head pieces.
foam glue (caulk sized and sold in the caulk section) and caulk gun.


I started with 3/4 inch styro foam board from Home Depot. I needed 4 of those sheets of 4' x 8'.

I stood them up and cut off the bottom 20 15/16" x4 ft for the bottom door hinge of the garage door.
I used a steak knife to cut it, then I pulled the foil looking stuff off the one side.











The next 20 15/16" x4' from the bottom was for the next garage door hinge and so on. (in case I cut it crooked, then the next piece will fit against it like a puzzle.)

I did this with 3 boards, so 9 pieces. They would go directly in the center of the garage door. Then I put a short 2' piece on each end. I did it like this for a couple of reasons:
1. my garage door is bent on the bottom hinge due to my impatience and misjudgment as to how quickly the door gets out of my way when I am in a hurry and am backing out, and
2. I didn't want to have a seam down the middle and chop the baby Jesus in half. I didn't think it would look good.

I had some cheap paint at Lowe's tinted a night-sky blue for less than $10. I painted all the cut pieces with a roller brush. I also painted the cut edges so that the white didn't show through and to keep those stupid foam balls from infesting everything around them. (I sealed the edges.)

I used some scrap foam and made the manger 2 ft long.




I glued the straw to card stock paper with hot glue, then I used the foam glue to glue it to the foam.












I glued the baby blanket to the actual poster, then glued the first foam piece down, then glued the foam piece with the straw glued to it down onto the 1st foam piece.








I glued two leftover scraps together to make them thicker and cut them in a profile shape of a baby, put some pillow stuffing on the top to give it some form, then wrapped it with scraps of material till it looked good to me. I glued it all together with hot glue, then glued it to the poster with foam glue.

SHAZAAAMM ! ! ! ! So far, so good !



Cut the magnets on a cutting board with an exacto knife, boiled them in hot water for a few seconds to get them to sit flat instead of being in a rolled shape. (These magnets come as a roll, so when  you unroll them, they tend to stay bent.) Then I stuck them against the fridge to cool off and straighten out. Then, I glued them to the backs of the posters with foam glue.






I cut the fabric at the break in the foam, so we could still use our garage normally.



I gathered the top and it gave good shape for the shoulders.



I hot glued the costume on the foam, cause I needed it to set quickly.


I glued it to the poster with foam glue.






I cut the top pieces at an angle to help them fit under my garage door frame
as the garage door goes up.




A piece to give the shape of the back.



My model for a kneeling shepherd.





This is what my neighbors saw for a few days while I was sick.  lol


Then, I got on a roll and BAM. . . . .





YAY!
DONE!

I am a whole lot crazier for attempting this.

I will NOT NOT NOT make a Christmas prop next year.

: p


We did hang a lighted star above the NOEL.



2 comments:

  1. I love it! Wish I could see it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing!!! I usually think nativities in people's front yards look cheesy, but I LOVE this one!

    ReplyDelete